In Mexico, there are different variations of cochinita pibil that reflect the culinary traditions of each region. In the city of Mérida, for example, lime juice and beer are added to the marinade to give the dish a refreshing and sour taste. In other places, other cuts of pork are used or additional ingredients such as chipotle chilli are added.Recipe for cochinita pibil Yucatán. Here’s a classic recipe for cochina pibil Yucatán style :
- 1 kg pork (ham or fat).
- 100 g achiote paste
- 1 cup sour orange juice
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Plantain leaves
- salt to taste
Tips for better taste
- Use good quality pork and prefer cuts such as rump or rump.
- Make sure you marinate the meat long enough for it to absorb all the flavours of the marinade. It is recommended to marinate the meat for at least 4 hours or even overnight to give it a more rich and succulent flavour.
- Use fresh and high quality ingredients whenever possible. Sour oranges and achiote paste are the main ingredients that give cochinita pibil its special taste. Try to find them to get an authentic result.
- Be sure to use banana leaves to wrap the meat before roasting. These leaves not only give it a delicious aroma, but also ensure that the moisture and flavors will remain intact during cooking.
- If you prefer a spicier taste, you can add habanero chilli to the marinade. Remember that habanero chilli is very hot. Therefore, adjust the quantity according to your tolerance for spiciness.
- Benefits of Cochinita Pibil
- Besides its taste, cochinita pibil offers a number of benefits. The pork used in this recipe is an excellent source of protein, iron and vitamin B12. It also provides nutrients such as zinc y selenio.